Consumers: January 2015
|Price||2500 USD (2014)|
|Controls||inertial, touchpad, buttons|
Afterguard are smartglasses tailored specifically for sailors. The system consists of a Recon Jet unit of smartglasses paired with a discrete Central Communications Unit that is connected to the instruments of a ship. This allows crucial navigational, weather or other information to be streamed to the device while keeping the hands of the user free. The communication unit is capable of connecting to a number of boat systems with little to no technical experience needed. The virtual information consist of three different screens displaying navigational data or time. These are designed specifically to suit the needs of different roles a user may take while being a part of a boat crew. The device is marketed towards professional users, especially in a competitive setting. HUD glasses has been successfully used during the 34th America's Cup match racing. But the technology used was not as sophisticated.
The display unit is a modified Recon Jet smartglasses with a modified frame that is resistant to weak water jets. The LED high-contrast display features 240 x 400 pixels resolution. In addition to usual variety of sensors such as a gyroscope, accelerometer or magnetometer, Afterguard also features barometric pressure and ambient temperature sensors. The battery should last for about 4 hours. Attachable battery pack is also available.
The communications unit is a small, discrete computer designed to interact with on-board instruments and stream information like the boat's speed, heading, position etc. to the display unit via Wi-Fi.
Afterguard system was created to give a competitive advantage to sailboat racers. It gathers and distributes crucial information about the boat and environment to the crew who is then more effective in taking relevant decision without the need to read the on-board instruments.
Company & People
- Alex Moret - founder of Afterguard Marine
Ethical Issues & Health Risks
There has been no issues noted with Microsoft HoloLens so far specifically. However, some general issues connected to Smartglasses in general still apply.
Public & Media Impact and Presentation
Related Technologies, Project or Scientific Research
- AFTERGUARD MARINE. Afterguard [online]. Available online at: http://afterguard.co/ (Retrieved 19 August 2015)
- BOXALL, Andy. These smart specs are like Google Glass for sailors. Digital Trends [online]. 2014, April 15. Available online at: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/afterguard-recon-smart-glasses-for-sailing/ (Retrieved 19 August 2015)
- ROSENBAUM, Dan. Afterguard Uses Recon Display for Yacht Racing. Wearable Tech Insider [online]. 2014, April 8. Available online at: http://wearablesinsider.com/2014/04/08/afterguard-uses-recon-display-yacht-racing/ (Retrieved 19 August 2015)
- AFTERGUARD MARINE. Technical Specifications[online]. Available online at: http://afterguard.co/technical-specifications/ (Retrieved 19 August 2015)
- Shows if the device is a standalone wearable computer or if it needs to be connected to a processing unit (computer, smartphone) to function.