Consumers: 2015 (expected)
|Operating system||Gi-OS(Windows CE based)|
|Weight||670 g (with standard battery, no camera module)|
|http://www.mygoldeni.com/ (Registered users only)|
Golden-i is a hands-free visual display created primarily for industry use. It runs on Gi-OS platform developed by Ikanos Consulting, but it is also compatible with Windows and Android. The headset is a standalone device and does not require connectivity with external devices, though it features WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity. The position of micro-display is adjustable. It can be worn in front of right or left eye and moved with the flexible arm to which it is mounted. Even though the device may seem bulky in terms of design, it weighs only 4.5 ounces and it can also be worn with a helmet or over safety and prescription glasses. The structure of the device is made from magnesium copper titanium alloy with Lexan polycarbonate, allowing it to function under different temperatures.
The microdisplay appears as a virtual 15-inch screen. The device features a 14 MP camera and 1080p video resolution. It also has an optional infrared camera for thermal and night vision. Embedded into the device are digital compass, gps, and 9-axis motion sensor for head tracking, as well as two noise-cancellation microphones and an adjustable earpiece. The device connects via Bluetooth. WiFi, and USB. It’s battery life is up to 8 hours. The basic apps included in Gi-OS are browser, email, media player, file manager, call dialler, and camera viewer. Golden-i can be voice and gesture controlled. It’s voice recognition software features over 38 languages and speech-driven virtual assistant Ask Ziggy.
Aimed for industrial applications; firefighters, police force, paramedics, doctors, construction workers, military.
Company & People
Kopin Corporation was founded by Dr. John C.C. Fan with a group of engineers from MIT in 1985. The company is headquartered in Westborough, MA, USA, with Application Design Centre in Scotts Valley, CA and Wearable Technology Centre in Santa Clara, CA. Its International Offices are located in Tokyo, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Dalgety Bay, Scotland, and Nottingham, UK. "Kopin is a leading developer and provider of technologies and solutions that enhance the visual, verbal, audio, and head-gesture command capabilities of wearable headset products." Its customers and partners include Motorola Solutions, Vuzix, Recon Instruments, Verizon, Panasonic, Samsung, Olympus, and many others.
Management team: Dr. John C.C. Fan, Founder, Chairman, CEO and President; Richard Sneider, Treasurer and Chief Financial Officer; Dr. Hong Choi, Chief Technology Officer; Dr. Bor-Yeu Tsaur, Executive Vice President, Display Operations; Michael Presz, Vice President, Government Programmes and Special Projects.
- Golden-i Gen 3.8 was first presented at Verizon booth at CES, Las Vegas on January 8, 2013.
- Availability announced for April 2013.
- As of July 2015, there are still no news on the Golden-i release date or price.
Public & Media Impact and Presentation
After the Golden-i headset was revealed at CES 2013, the reviews were very positive, especially praising its professional apps Paramedic Pro, Firefighter Pro, and Police Pro. As Cristopher MacManus wrote, the use of this device by first responders could change the way of saving lives. When considered from the perspective of consumer market, Golden-i is criticized for its bulky design. Given that the device is not available yet, there is no information on reception of the device available yet.
The Golden-i Gen 3.5 is certified by FCC.
Related Technologies, Project or Scientific Research
- Gi-OS operating system for Golden-i, developed by Ikanos Consulting.
- “Ask Ziggy” speech recognitions software is also embedded in the Gi-OS.
- Shows if the device is a standalone wearable computer or if it needs to be connected to a processing unit to function.
- HC1 Headset Computer. ZIH Corp. [online]. Available online at: https://www.zebra.com/us/en/products/mobile-computers/wearable-computers/hc1.html#mainpartabscontainer=features-benefitsl (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Kopin Announces FCC Certification and Availability of Golden-i 3.5 Computing Headsets. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. 2011, Mar 23 Available online at: http://ir.kopin.com/investors/news-events/press-releases/Press-Release-Details/2011/Kopin-Announces-FCC-Certification-and-Availability-of-Golden-i-35-Computing-Headsets1124593/default.aspx (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- DAVIES, Chris. Kopin Pupil hands-on: Glass tech without geek looks. SlashGear [online]. 2014, Feb 19. Available online at: http://www.slashgear.com/kopin-pupil-hands-on-glass-tech-without-geek-looks-19317484/ (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Optics. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. Available online at: http://www.kopin.com/capabilities/optics (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- PITTS, Joshua. Golden-i Gen 3.8. Glass Apps Source [online]. 2014, Mar 16. Available online at: http://www.glassappsource.com/golden-i/golden-gen-3-8.html (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- DAINES, Nick. Ikanos Consulting Embeds Ask Ziggy Natural Language Processing in Golden-i Gi-OS Software. PRWeb [online]. 2012, Dec 12. Available online at: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/12/prweb10229703.htm (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Contact. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. Available online at: http://www.kopin.com/contact (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- About. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. Available online at: http://www.kopin.com/about (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Partners and Costumers. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. Available online at: http://www.kopin.com/about/partners-and-customers (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Management Team. Kopin Corp., Inc. [online]. Available online at: http://www.kopin.com/about/management-team (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- This is how I video-blog: Kopin Golden-i 3.8 wearable computer for augmented reality. ARMdevices.net, Youtube. [online]. Available online at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXT3vK2yl6Q (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- DAVIES, Chris. Kopin outs Golden-i Gen 3.8: Faster, lighter wearable computer. SlashGear [online]. 2013, Jan 8. Available online at: http://www.slashgear.com/kopin-outs-golden-i-gen-3-8-faster-lighter-wearable-computer-08264098/ (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- Paramedic Pro application for Golden-i headset Computer Saves Time and Improves Patient Care. EMSWorld [online]. 2012, Nov 7. Available online at: http://www.emsworld.com/press_release/10826211/paramedic-pro-application-for-golden-i-headset-computer-saves-time-and-improves-patient-care (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- COSTA, Christen. Golden-i Augmented Reality Glasses Turn Police into Robocops (video). Gadget Review [online]. 2013, Feb 19. Available online at: http://www.gadgetreview.com/2013/02/golden-i-augmented-reality-glasses (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)
- MACMANUS, Christopher. Golden-i headset could change the way people save lives. CNET [online]. 2013, Jan 10. Available online at: http://www.cnet.com/news/golden-i-headset-could-change-the-way-people-save-lives/ (Retrieved Jul 29, 2015)